Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards (DoLS): Code of Practice
Published by the Ministry of Justice.
The Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards Code of Practice is essential for anyone working under the DoLS framework.
1. What are the Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards and why were they introduced?
2. What is deprivation of liberty?
3. How and when can deprivation of liberty be applied for and authorised?
4. What is the assessmet process for a standard authorisation of deprivation of liberty?
5. What should happen once the assessments are completed?
6. When can urgent authorisations of deprivation of liberty be given?
7. What is the role of the relevant persons representative?
8. When should an authorisation be reviewed and what happens when it ends?
9. What happens if someone thinks a person is being deprived of their liberty wiothout authorisation?
10. What is the Court of Protection and when can people apply to it?
11. How will the safeguards be monitored?